Sunday, November 11, 2012

T. Rex Vs Shark

Inspired by several postings I did in the past I wanted to do a rendering of a T-rex doing something a little different...In Eyelids of Mourning I suggested that theropods likely used nictitating eyelids like sharks or birds during violent bouts with prey- and I also thought that depictions of such behavioral anatomy in paleo-illustrations are lacking. And in This Island Earth IIIc: Theropod Wars continued I suggested that predatory theropods, due to a rather conservative bauplan, all made rather good fishers due to their height and lunging necks. So below is a teenage T-rex who has caught some putative  shark- as shown below the Hell Creek formation is an apt name as it had a fairly diverse fauna of sharks, rays, sawfish- and as it bites into the shark its nictitating eyelid comes into use.

Hell Creek Chondrichthyans
(c) Duane Nash

T-rex was the ubiquitous large theropod of its habitat. It lived fast and died young. Work by Jack Horner suggests it formed up to 20% of the dinosaur fauna where it lived. The withdrawal of the Western Interior Seaway would have left a huge swampy habitat, no reason to believe T-rex would not have exploited the aquatic fauna of crocs, turtles, fish, champosaurs and chondrichthyans in this area.


Cheers!


Support me on Patreon.
Like antediluvian salad on facebook.
Watch me on Deviantart @NashD1.Subscribe to my youtube channel Duane Nash.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...